RE: Recommend a book on knowledge modeling?

John Sowa's book "Knowledge Representation : Logical, Philosophical, and
Computational Foundations" is good, though heavy going at times, and his own
opinions (unavoidable in the book) don't always mesh with those of others
(e.g. [2]). There's some material on logic, ontologies & KIF on his site
that gives a taste of the book.

A less specific book, but one I wish I'd encountered 5 years sooner is
"Artificial Intelligence - A Modern Approach" (Russell & Norvig, 1995) [3].
It's coverage is very broad (lot of machine learning/neural net stuff) but
it goes deep enough to be useful - it's a standard text in Universities I
believe. It's rather out of date now but I think a new edition was in the
pipeline last time I looked. Trivia: Peter Norvig is now Google's "Director
of Search Quality".

I'd be interested in hearing about any books that are good on the practical
side of knowledge modelling, I've not seen (m)any that come close to real
code. An affordable book on Description Logic would be appreciate too - I'm
still waiting for the Handbook [4] to turn up in a second-hand bookshop...

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://users.bestweb.net/~sowa/krbook/
[2] http://mars.virtual-earth.de/pipermail/cg/1992q1/001517.html