RE: Denotation of URIs

Hi All,

While reading the discussion on the (authority over the) denotation of
URIs, a college of mind reminded me of the long forgotten (or never ever
used) construct of rdfs:isDefinedBy.

Snippet from the spec:

"rdfs:isDefinedBy is an instance of rdf:Property that is used to
indicate a resource defining the subject resource. This property may be
used to indicate an RDF vocabulary in which a resource is described.

A triple of the form:

S rdfs:isDefinedBy O

states that the resource O defines S. It may be possible to retrieve
representations of O from the Web, but this is not required. When such
representations may be retrieved, no constraints are placed on the
format of those representations. rdfs:isDefinedBy is a subproperty of
rdfs:seeAlso.

The rdfs:domain of rdfs:isDefinedBy is rdfs:Resource. The rdfs:range of
rdfs:isDefinedBy is rdfs:Resource."

I always marveled at the vagueness of this definition. Was this
originally intended to mean that (in the example) the owner of S has the
authority over S? Why isn't there a uniqueness constraint then? Was
anyone from this mailing list there when this was put in writing?

Could this definition be cleared up and given some meaning that would
help an agent to find the "source" of a URI, i.e. the entity who
actually knows what it was meant to denote?

Peter

currently-proposed
> nature of the Semantic Web, as embodied in RDF and OWL, is capable of
> doing
> much of this already.
>
> > > It
> > > appears to me that
> > > the benefits of the Semantic Web (over XML, for example) are
> > > intimately
> > > involved with partial and conflicting information.
> >
> > Sorry, but I will have to see a clear and motivating example of
> > such a benefit. What you are suggesting sounds irrational to me.
> >
> > Show me the code... Show me a use case... Show me...
>
> Well most current Semantic Web code only works where the context is
shared
> in the way that you want.  I, however, am interested in building
Semantic

<http://b.ex/mary> .