Re: Using MIME types in RDF/DAML and Image Metadata

On Monday, 31 March 2003 at 01:12, Yarden Katz wrote:
> As far as
> I can tell, I could use dc:format as follows:

>   Given: <Picture rdf:resource="http://foo/bar.jpg">

>   <rdf:Description rdf:resource="http://foo/bar.jpg">
>     <dc:format>image/jpeg</dc:format>
>   </rdf:Description>

> But I'm unsure of a way to express that "all resources pointed to by
> [i.e., everything in the rdfs:range] 'Picture' have dc:format of
> image/jpeg".  If I hardcode it into the agent, well, then it's not
> really inferencing :)

I think this is close:

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Picture">
  <rdfs:subClassOf>
    <owl:Restriction>
      <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&dc;format" />
      <owl:allValuesFrom>
        <owl:Class>
          <owl:oneOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
            <owl:Thing
            rdf:about="http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/image/jpeg"/>
          </owl:oneOf>
        </owl:Class>
      </owl:allValuesFrom>
    </owl:Restriction>
  </rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

In English, this snippet defines a class with an ID of Picture. It's a subclass of
a restricted class. The restriction applies to the dc:format property
which is restricted to taking the IANA URI representing the image/jpeg
mime type as a value.

In other words, only those resources that have a dc:format property
with the value of
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/image/jpeg
are Pictures. Not quite what you're looking for but maybe of some
help.

- Ian <iand@internetalchemy.org>
"One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done."