[Fwd: [Moderator Action] OpenSource release of Parka, University of Maryland Database backend (fwd)]

freed from the spamtrap...

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Moderator Action] OpenSource release of Parka, University of
Maryland Database backend  (fwd)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ron Alford <ronwalf@wam.umd.edu>
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

I'm forwarding this along from Dr. Hendler, since his tries weren't going
through.
- --
Ron Alford, KB0NUV
http://volus.net/~ronwalf

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:54:43 -0400
From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
To: rdf-interest@w3.org
Cc: semweb@mindswap.org
Subject: OpenSource release of Parka, University of Maryland Database
backend

(Apologies if you get this twice - URIs were stripped off previous sending)

We are pleased to announce the opensource release  [1] of the
(no-longer patent-pending) Parka system.  The new version, ParkaSW,
is aimed at supporting RDF use by being a scalable backend technology
for the storage and retrieval of RDF graphs.
   Parka's representations are still more tailored for the earlier
SemWeb language SHOE [2], but it also makes a capable RDF tool - see
[3] for example.
Parka's inputs are triples, and the builder file can easily be
created from RDF.  Parka also includes inheritance algorithms and
others that will be of use for OWL-lite and RDFS users, however they
currently require some preprocessing algorithms.  We hope to release
a new version in the next few months which will more directly support
RDFS and OWL-lite.
   The current implementation makes ParkaSW unable to contain more than
about 2.5E6 (2.5 million) triples, we are also working on a new
version that will remove that limitation.
   Parka currentl benchmarks faster than other RDF databases due to its
innovative way of storing triple tables.  Note, however, that for RDF
DBs that have many different properties (more than 300) Parka can run
up against file limitations on some Unix implementations - thus to
handle a large number of relations in a single graph, some parameters
needs to be munged.  Contact us if you get into that situation (most
DBs we've tested on have far less properties than that in any graph).
    -Jim Hendler
    for the MINDSWAP research group (http://www.mindswap.org)

note:  ParkaSW derives in part from Parka-DB(TM) which is still
available for licensing - see the details on the release page [1].

[1] http://www.mindswap.org/2002/parka
[2] http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE
[3] http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/Parka

- --