Re: Meaning of URIRefs

[freed from spam trap -rrs]

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:21:50 -0500 (EST)
From: wsng@gmx.net
To: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Meaning of URIRefs

Maybe it helps to distinguish two cases:
a) referring to a name
b) referring to a model/ontology (including names and statements about
their relations)

Obviously both cases are useful.
To say 'Berlin was founded in 1735' (which is wrong), I don't need to
take any model into account, and getting access to the name 'Berlin'
only
with an attached model may even get me into trouble (as others have
pointed
out already). Note that quoting the name won't help here because I want
establish a fact about Berlin, not about the name 'Berlin'.
I assume that Sandro wants to use the 'definitional' statements to
ensure
that the owner of the name 'Berlin' and me refer to the same Berlin
(e.g. not to Berlin, NH, USA). IMHO this can't be guaranteed within the
SW, but only by human convention. My guess ist that as we humans
nowadays
'know' that www.ibm.org is IBMs web site, we will 'know' that
www.geographicnames.org/germany/berlin (or whatever URI) denotes
the city Berlin in Germany.
Therefore I think it should be possible to use a name without being
forced to assert anything stated by the name's owner.

OTOH it is also useful to say 'Spot is a Dog, according to the
animal classification system at www.allmyanimals.org'. Here I do not
only want to use a name, but refer to the complete ontology.
I agree with Sandro that there are ontologies where it doesn't even make

sense to use terms from that ontology without asserting the truth of the
whole ontology.

Both ways of using a name have their place and should be supported
within the SW.

- Wolf