Re: Meaning of URIRefs

>On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Seth Russell wrote:
>

>>  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>>
>>  >After all, RDF actually can allow
>>  >two contradictory statements.
>>  >
>>  Oh really?  Could you give me an example of two contradictory statements
>>  using only the RDF vocabulary?
>
>You can write contradictory claims about the world using RDF. Nothing in
>the core RDF specs allows machines to detect the goof, that's all.

This all depends on what you mean by 'contradictory'. I would say
that you cannot in fact make contradictory claims using RDF since RDF
has no way to express negation or opposition. What can happen is that
two sources can make claims in RDF which *taken together with a lot
of background knowledge* are contradictory; but until that background
knowledge is itself put into RDF (or somehow made accessible to an
RDF processor), then the claims either aren't in RDF or else aren't
contradictory.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell