RE: The Tragedy of RSS

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Nick Gibbins wrote:

> Bill de hra <dehora@eircom.net> writes:
>
> > In the meantime, Dublin Core strikes me as sufficient RDF for RSS
> > 2.0.
>
> Point of information: Dublin Core is a bibliographic metadata
> vocabulary which is independent from, and which predates RDF.

Point of clarification :-).  Nothing in DC restricts it's scope to
bibliographic resources.  The more recent DC publications tend use the
usual RDF definition of 'resource', i.e.

 "a resource is anything that has identity. Familiar examples include an
 electronic document, an image, a service (e.g., "today's weather report
 for Los Angeles"), and a collection of other resources. Not all resources
 are network "retrievable"; e.g., human beings, corporations, and bound
 books in a library can also be considered resources."

(though personally I take issue with whether it is appropriate to describe
a person using DC!).

This is largely exemplified in the DCMIType list of resource types, which
includes

http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/11/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

Collection
Dataset
Event
Image
InteractiveResource
Service
Software
Sound
Text

i.e. this list is indicative of the kinds of resources that one might
expect to describe using DC.

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933