Re: Common RDF parser bug?

[freed from spam trap -rrs]

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 04:03:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <pa@champin.net>
To: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 07:33, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> > The particular example I have in mind comes
> > from an rdf schema for p3p I have been working on where I have statements
> > of the form:
> >
> >    <site> <collects> _:1 .
> >    _:1    <rdf:type> <rdf:Statement> .
> >    _:1     <rdf:predicate> <p3p:birthdate> .
> >
> > which is a way of saying this site collects information about peoples
> > birthdays.
>
> Seems to me that this approach is asking for trouble.  It looks like it is
> trying to sneak in some notion of a universal quantifier through the back
> door, but without any real semantics for it.  I suggest that's not a good
> idea.

Thomas,

I agree with you on that very last point about "sneaking" universal
quantification. Does not look very clean to me.

However, I just agree with Brian on the main topic : it may be useful in
many cases to *partially* describe a statement. To make an example
similar to Brian's...

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://champin.net/">
  <foo:contains>
    <rdf:Statement>
      <rdf:predicate rdf:resource="&foo;phoneNumber"/>
      <rdf:subject rdf:parseType="Resource">
        <vcard:EMAIL rdf:resource="mailto:pa@champin.net"/>
      </rdf:subject>
    </rdf:Statement>
  </foo:contains>
</rdf:Description>

meaning something like
"The page <http://champin.net/> contains the information about the phone
number of the person with e-mail address pa@champin.net"

or more concisely : "You can find my phone number on my homepage"

whatever that phone number is ! It may change, the above RDF is still
valid.

  Pierre-Antoine