Re: rdf-ns-prefix-confusion

At 01:15 AM 1/15/02 -0500, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>I've never seem a convincing explanation of what the word "directly" is
>intended to imply here in the last sentence.  Doesn't it imply that default
>namespaces could apply "indirectly", whatever that might mean (see below,
>about Appendix A.2, for more about what it could mean)?

I think so.

My understanding is roughly that the interpretation of an unprefixed
attribute depends on the element in which it is contained.  The
specification of an element would, I think, be at liberty to say that the
unprefixed appearance of some attribute is to be treated as equivalent to
the attribute qualified by some namespace.  A choice for this could be the
namespace of the containing element.  This leads to an indirect application
of the enclosing element's namespace, by way of the specification of the
element thus qualified.

None of this is required behaviour, or specified by XML namespaces.  Just a
possibility that is left available by the specification.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org