Re: Alertbox: Site map usability (fwd)

Hi

On Mon 07-Jan-2002 at 04:44:08PM -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:

> excerpted from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020106.html (fwd'd below)
>
>  "We have often predicted that Internet Explorer version 8 will be the
>  first decent Web browser. One feature request for version 8 is better
>  navigation support by offering a visualization feature that would pull
>  the site map out of the website and make it a standardized browser element."
>
> So Mozilla kinda does this for the currently viewed page, using HTML LINK
> elements in the HEAD of a document. But it only has the current document's
> point of view, not access to the rest of the sitemap. Having it (and IE,
> Opera...) consume RDF sitemap for navigation support would be pretty cool.
>
> Has anyone spent any time looking at this?

I have set up MKDoc (a web content management tool) to generate RSS 1.00
sitemaps, eg:

  http://mkdoc.com/rss100sitemap.rdf

This kind of format might work?

The limitation of not being able to order things in RSS might not make
it suitable, or could rdf:Seq be used with RSS?

It would also need a way of indicating which document is the parent
document of each document (like the proposed children mod [1]).

I guess there would also need to a link to it, perhaps like this:

  <link rel="meta sitemap" href="./rss100sitemap.rdf" />

I also think that a rel="sitemap" link type for the HTML sitemap would
be a good idea -- it would be a great addition to the mozilla site
toolbar, IMHO.

Chris