Re: aboutEachPrefix? was Re: Namespaces wihtout "#" Was: Few CWM Bugs

As I understand it, opacity is important to ensure that third parties
like protocol designers and application vendors don't impose
structure or semantics onto Web publishers' URI namepaces, and also
so that resource metadata wouldn't be conflated with the resource
identifier.

However, as Tim points out, there are situations where the authority
for a resource can infer things about it, based on characteristics of
a URI; this is very useful. Otherwise, how would a Web server know
that the URI http://www.example.com/images/foo.gif should be mapped
to the file at /www/example/htdocs/images/foo.gif. Similarly, the Web
server needs a mechanism to decide what Content-Type to send with the
representation; an efficient way to do this is to look up the
filename extension in a local map. In both cases, the namespace is
fully under the control of the authority; they're using the structure
they've defined as a convenience.

Allowing RDF to peek inside URIs will allow publishers to makes
statements about their URIs without enumerating each and every
resource that they publish (difficult, if not impossible, considering
things like queries). Of course, I could abuse this facility and make
statements about *your* resources, but determining trust is fairly
straightforward, at least for URLs. ;)

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham