Re: A Rough Guide to Notation3

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

> > True, but I think you are missing the big picture.
>
> What big picture?  If N3 is a shorthand non-XML serialization of RDF, then
> there is no big picture!  The only way for N3 to be bigger than RDF is for
> it to be more than a shorthand non-XML serialization of RDF.

I agree ... N3 is bigger than RDF .... Semenglish is begger than N3 ...
English is bigger than Semenglish ...

> This is a matter of some contention.  In fact, I would argue that one of
> the main problems with the Semantic Web vision is precisely this view that
> the Semantic Web is tied to simple labeled directed graphs.

Why?  Strangely enough  I happen to believe it is the current obsession with
applying formal logic to language that is one of the main problems with the
Semantic Web.  Imho, the Semantic Web is about communication and finding
whatever we are looking for.  I have yet to see a single application of
formal logic that has furthered that goal.

> >    It *is* all about the graph !
>
> Why should the Semantic Web be restricted to such a limited mechanism?

Well I do not view it as a limited mechanism.  I have a long standing
challenge, seeAlso (knowledge representation),  that says that I can
represent anything that can be expressed in any language with labeled
directed graphs.  To this day nobody has met that challenge to my
satisfaction.

Seth Russell

... here is some metadata ...

language: semenglish;  talkingFrom (sailor dictionary)

(knowledge representation)
    seeAlso <http://robustai.net/ai/symknow.htm>;
    creator seth.

seth