Re: Using XMLSchema-instance attributes in RDF/XML Syntax

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Using XMLSchema-instance attributes in RDF/XML Syntax
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:11:20 +0100

[...]

> > ...  I'm even
> > interested in an XML Schema schema document for RDF/XML that only uses a
> > fixed collection of properties.
>
> I think I've mentioned my work on that before.
>
>   W3C XML Schemas for simple DC in RDF/XML
>   http://ilrt.org/discovery/2002/01/dcxml-xsd/
>
> which has schemas, instance documents (separate) and links to the W3C
> WXS validator checking that they work.

But do these schemas validate exactly the possible RDF/XML documents that
use only the DC properties?

[...]

> > > This seems a rather ugly solution to the problem with your schema.
> > > Why should just that namespace be ignored?
> >
> > Perhaps because it is the XML Schema namespace?  RDF/XML treats the XML
> > namespace specially already.
>
> No, the XML specification treats attributes starting with "xml"
> specially.  RDF/XML as revised now uses the XML infoset and all
> such namespace issues are handled by XML parsers.  The above-infoset
> mapping never sees such prefixes.

Well, then, doesn't RDF/XML treat the XML namespace specially?

Couldn't you even treat the XML Schema namespaces specially in a similar
way by going to a PSV infoset (or whatever that is called)?

[...]

peter