RE: Bitzi File Metadata RDF Dump

At 07:37 PM 9/26/01 +0300, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
>While URLs and URNs no longer are considered to represent disjunct
>partitions of URI space, they still (to my understanding) are considered
>to be valid and necessary concepts distinguishing between resources
>which are expected to have some "physical" online realization and
>those which are trully abstract.
>
>For those who haven't seen it yet, cf
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-uri-clarification-20010921/.

Er, the disjointness of URLs and URNs is one of the few definite
distinctions that is asserted by that document:

[[[
The phrase "URL scheme" is now
used infrequently, usually to refer to some subclass of URI schemes
which exclude URNs.
]]] -- (Last sentence of section 1.2)

I'd also say that the document plays down the "necessity" of distinction:

[[[
... the term "URL" does
not refer to a formal partition of URI space; rather, URL is a
useful but informal concept...
]]] -- (section 1.2)

#g

Graham Klyne