RE: Bitzi File Metadata RDF Dump

Well, you may be right that there is a better way than *any* URI
to encode that data, but that wasn't particularly the focus of my
comments (which presumed that use of *some* URI was the preferred
method).

> > Names are names. Locations are locations. The URN/URL distinction
> > is valid. Let's not encourage folks to blur it any further, eh?
> >
> > I encourage Bitzi to register and use their bitprint: URN (URI)
> > scheme and not resort to further misuse (IMMHO) of the HTTP URI
> > scheme for abstract resource names.
>
> The URN/URL distinction isn't as clear cut as you suggest.
>
> HTTP names can perfectly well be used to name 'abstract' resources,
> distinct from their various bit-stream representations and
> associations
> with particular Internet-connected Web services.

Well, whether they *can* be used as such is a different question as
to whether they *should* be used as such ;-) And of course, just
because a given HTTP URL might resolve to different representations,
doesn't mean it represents an "abstract" resource, per se, but
rather a concrete meta-resource ;-) corresponding to multiple variant
instantiations.

While URLs and URNs no longer are considered to represent disjunct
partitions of URI space, they still (to my understanding) are considered
to be valid and necessary concepts distinguishing between resources
which are expected to have some "physical" online realization and
those which are trully abstract.

For those who haven't seen it yet, cf
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-uri-clarification-20010921/.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453