Re: Problem with the list?

At 12:13 AM 3/13/2001 -0700, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>Please CC me on replies since it seems I'm not subscribed currently.

I added you back manually about an hour ago.

>I've been dropped from this list several times now, most
> recently around March 13.

Looking at the logs, I see that you've been dropped from the list
twice; once on 2000-09-14 and once on 2001-02-13.  Both times
were due to the following error:

  550 uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com... Host unknown (Name server: mail.fourthought.com.: host not found)

I can't determine after the fact whether this would have been
a DNS failure at our end or at your DNS provider.

>  The other two times, I just re-subscribed, but this time, I resubscibed
>and got a "success" message, but I'm still not getting the messages, even
>thought I can see them in the archives.

This seems to have been my mistake.  I edited the distribution
list by hand yesterday and left it with a protection that didn't
permit the daemon to add to it.  Sorry.  Four other people were
similarly affected.  Thank you for notifying me/us; I've now
corrected the problem.

>There doesn't seem to be a human "owner" posted for this list, which is why
>I'm probably annoying everyone with a plea for help.

Appending "-request" to any list name at W3C will direct
your message to the list robot and if it doesn't understand
the message it will be forwarded to a human.

>Anyone with any ideas?  Has this happened to anyone else?  I seem to have an
>XML listserv jinx as I've had various problems with XML-DEV and xsl-list, and
>not with any of the other 20 or more MLs I'm on.

If your DNS provider is flakey, lists with a low tolerance for
bounces would toss you off sooner than lists with a high tolerance.

The list robot (SmartList) that runs most W3C lists will attempt to
automatically remove an address after some number of messages bounce.
The threshold at which it does this is adjustable on a per-list basis.
Most of our lists have the threshold set at 4 bounces.

I, as the designated list maintainer for www-rdf-interest, receive
a copy of every bounce.  I mostly don't look at the bounces from
www-rdf-interest, but I do log them in case I ever want or need
to do any analysis.  This is the first time I've referred to that
log :-)

While we're on this thread, let me explain briefly our current
spam filtering mechanism since you've likely noticed several
messages I've reposted on behalf of others.  The posting policy
for www-rdf-interest is that anyone who is subscribed to any
W3C list may post to www-rdf-interest.  This keeps most of the
random spammers out.  When legitimate people post from an account
different from one they've subscribed to our lists (and when
non-subscribers post) their messages are redirected to my inbox.
When I recognize that this person might be likely to post again
from the same non-subscribed account I will manually add this
alternate address to a list of exceptions from which mail to
www-rdf-interst will also be accepted.

-Ralph