RE: Use/misuse of RDF:Value

Comments inserted mid-text

I'm willing to acknowledge being think, but I'm still at a complete loss
to understand this use of rdfs:label.  HOw is an "appropriate literal"
for a dc value at all related to the "human readable version of a
resource name" other than the fact that both are of type "string"?

> > 3. Of special concern for the dc-architecture folks, I'm
> still concerned
> > that the hanging of that arbitrary information off a
> intermediate node
> > associated attached to a dc property says espresses that
> the arbitrary
> > information is indeed a value of the dc property.
>
> I once again refer you to the argument in:
>
> http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0102&L=dc-architect
> ure&P=27229

Your argument seems to rely on the notion of a "smart system".  As
others have pointed out in the previous emails, we've been pretty
focused in DC to make sure that dumb systems are able to use a variety
of DC descriptions.  Mixing in arbitrary sub-graphs with dc properties
esstentially gives no constraints and makes it difficult for these dumb
systems.

> > My reading is that Stu is suggesting a violation of
> > RDF schema which says that:
>
> First, one cannot be in "violation" of a schema, one merely
> has something
> which it cannot model.

Thanks for correcting my language here.

> > A property can have at most one range property. It is
> possible for it to
> > have no range, in which case the class of the property value is
> > unconstrained.
>
> Second, this is widely-believed to be a bug and is expected to be soon
> changed.

Do you have any notion of what that soon is.  It makes me uncomfortable
to propose a general usage that precedes the nature of a "bug fix".

> > That is, I can't write a schema that says a dc property can
> have a range
> > that is either a rdfs:literal or an intermediate node.
>
> Third, I believe that leaving the schema unconstrained would
> have the same
> effect since an intermediate node is a resource and the union
> of resources
> and literals covers (to my knowledge) all possible properties in RDF.

Not comfortable with this.  The nice thing about constraints is that
they help us write programs that process the stuff.  If we formally
leave the nature of the rdf expression of dublin core, then why not
change the natural language description of all dc elements to "anything
you really want to throw in this bucket".  John Kunze, in response to
previous attempts to put complex values into dc elements commented, "ok,
then give me a rule about what can't be the value of a dc element".