RE: Choosing XML Schema vs. RDF Schema

One important distinction to understand between XML Schema
and RDF Schema is that the scope of XML Schema is a single
XML instance, whereas the scope of RDF Schema is a unified
knowledge base that may be the result of syndicating the
content from multiple XML instances (or other serializations).

Thus, an XML Schema may be more appropriate for some uses
and an RDF Schema for others.

E.g. if you have a employee record that must be completely
expressed in a single XML instance, then an XML Schema that
would e.g. require a phone number, employee number, etc.
such that e.g. only one last name is allowed, etc. could
be used effectively.

If however, you might store different information about an
employee in different places, and those disparate sources
would each be serialized in their own XML (RDF) instance, to
be combined for processing, then you must use RDF Schema
to e.g. ensure that only one last name or employee number
are specified, or that the address isn't missing.

RDF Schema constraints transcend the serialization level.
XML Schema constraints apply only to the serialization level.

The choice between the two are primarily governed by the
degree to which you syndicate information from multiple
sources.

Also, keep in mind that RDF Schema provides no mechanisms
for strong data type validation of literal values (e.g.
that a date value matches an explicit pattern or that an
integer value is actually an integer, etc.). XML Schema,
on the other hand, does. So generally, a combination of both
would be used; with XML Schema defining the serialization
of information (with strong data typing) and RDF Schema
defining completeness and other constraints about the full
body of knowledge.

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453