Re: daml validator

Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

>> http://www.daml.org/validator
>>
>> I accidently typed in the wrong url, without the closing slash
>> after the word validator, as above.  Does anyone else see
>> something very interesting, and having nothing to do with daml.org
>> at all.  I am using Netscape on a solaris box.
> The host for www.daml.org exhibits a number of interesting and amusing
> features,
> at least as experienced from Netscape on a Windows box.  These features
> have been reported a several times to a responsible person, but they tend
> to be somewhat ephemeral, and thus may be harder to fix.

I too see something very interesting, but it is easy to fix. Here's the
problem:

The DAML.org server thinks it's name is pride. It's default domain lookup
space is daml.org, so it resolves itself to pride.daml.org -- which is
reasonable.

However, when it sends out a redirect, it tells you to go to
<http://pride/validator/>. Your browser looks up the domain name "pride",
finds nothing, and so tries www.pride.com -- voila!

The easy fix for this is to have the administrator correct the Apache
configuration so that it thinks its name is www.daml.org instead of "pride".

(The sysadmin seems to have something for the seven deadly sins -- the DNS
server is named gluttony...)