Re: Collecting shared properties

On Wednesday, December 12, 2001, at 09:10 , Dave Beckett wrote:

> <snip/>
>
>> Another solution would be to do some xslt to do the transform for you
>> before RDF processing.  Any of you xslt experts want to suggest a
>> standard
>> way of doing it?
>
> I'm no XSLT expert, but I think this has been done a few times
>   already:
>
>   RDF Syntax: An XML Schema/XSLT Approach, Dan Connolly
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/04rs22/
>
>   especially http://www.w3.org/2001/04rs22/aboutEachSugar.xsl
>   although he notes some of the problems with aboutEach
>
> and
>
>   Snail - Excruciatingly Slow RDF Parsing, Jeremy Carroll
>   http://www.hpl.hp.co.uk/people/jjc/snail/
>
>   where there you can dig out the XSLT transforms somewhere.

I'm not too tied to using "rdf:aboutEach". However, I do need to know if
there is an alternative way to succinctly represents properties about A
and B, where A and B are almost, but not quite, the same. The particular
example I have in mind is a self-describing file (ie with embedded
meta-data) , in a head-body pattern. The meta-data in the head currently
has two things it talks about: the current file (ie the whole document
it is embedded in) and the body part. Each of these share some
properties.

It is more important this information is kept in sync than it is that it
should involve less typing, but less typing would be good :-) Btw, there
is nothing wrong with syntactic sugar, as long as it is correct and
understandable.

So, in summary, apart from using rdf:aboutEach, how do I factor out
shared properties, in a way which is forwards-compatible? Ideally, I
don't want to get stuck with a legacy standard when I can change it now.

--
Mike