Re: On the integration of Topic Maps and RDF

Ok, then my apologies. It seemed as though there was no common model,
that is, a third model: the fusion of two models the user understood. So
implicitly the semantic mapping was already done in the user's head.

Leo

Martin Lacher wrote:

> > I have to agree with Peter on this. I really can't understand the
> > alternative. Unless you really do formalize a third representation
> > language which attempts to "preserve" the semantics of the mappings
> > between your other two languages (say, with a notion of the formal
> > properties represented and preserved on each side through those
> > "mappings" or morphisms), then you are spinning in air. Semantic
> > interoperability or semantic "mapping" requires a commensurate
> > language/model. How else can it work? Modeling the semantics of a model
> > in the syntax of another model just can't work. You need to preserve the
> > semantics of the original model when you translate it into the syntax of
> > the other model (or approximate it to a greater or lesser degree of
> > possible formalization).
>
> Leo,
>
> Thank you for comments.
> We had a much more modest goal: to enable a user to query two information
> source the data models of which she understands.
>
> Martin

Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA