RE: abstract model and reification

At 04:16 PM 9/19/00 +0100, McBride, Brian wrote:

> > [B].  But from its
> > >
> > >Seems to me that would represent the reification of all arcs
> > labeled with "P".
> >
> > Reasonable.  Or, more precisely, an incomplete reification of
> > all arcs
> > labelled "P".
>
>Which would imply that if I added an attributedTo with value
>"Graham" I would be saying that "Graham" made all statements
>with property P.  I don't think thats such a good idea.

Hmmm... would it be universal quantification as you suggest, or merely
existential?

I think the reasonable interpretation *in this case* would be "Graham made
_some_ statement with property P", which I think is quite a reasonable idea.

The fact that R _partially_ reifies some S cannot be taken to imply that a
statement about R can be said to apply to ALL S that R partially
reifies.  Or, for a statement about R to be meaningful, maybe R must be a
complete reification?

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)