Re: W3C Announces XML Protocol Activity (fwd)

Dan, please let me know if anyone takes on the liason role.
Thanks,

David
XML Protocol WG Chair

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int   Ph: 544.9665
fallside@us.ibm.com

Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> on 09/14/2000 12:46:59 PM

To:   www-rdf-interest@w3.org
cc:   yves@w3.org, swick@w3.org, David Fallside/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS,
      janet@w3.org
Subject:  W3C Announces XML Protocol Activity (fwd)

RDF IG,

Forwarded below the announcment recently sent to xml-dist-app@w3.org
concerning the XML Protocol Activity and new Working Group.

See charter at http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XML-Protocol-Charter

Particularly relevant to our recent threads about XML and graph data
models: http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XML-Protocol-Charter#representation

[[
With the introduction of XML and Resource
Description Framework (RDF) schema
languages, and the existing capabilities of
object and type modeling languages such as
Unified Modeling Language (UML), applications
can model data at either a syntactic or a more
abstract level. In order to propagate these data
models in a distributed environment, it is
required that data conforming to a syntactic
schema can be transported directly, and that
data conforming to an abstract schema can be
converted to and from XML for transport.

The Working Group should propose a
mechanism for serializing data representing
non-syntactic data models in a manner that
maximizes the interoperability of independently
developed Web applications. Furthermore, as
data models change, the serialization of such
data models may also change. Therefore it is
important that the data encapsulation and data
representation mechanisms are designed to be
orthogonal.

Examples of relationships that will have to be
serialized include subordinate relationships
known from attachments and manifests. Any
general mechanism produced by the Working
Group for serializing data models must also be
able to support this particular case.
]]

This connects with the issues outlined in
http://www.w3.org/RDF/#architecture
     ->
     http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/NOTE-schema-arch-19991007
     Cambridge Communique,
     W3C NOTE on application schema layering

and  http://www.w3.org/1999/04/WebData
     Web Architecture: Describing and Exchanging Data,
     Berners-Lee, Connolly, Swick

So I'd like to make sure there are a few people on both the
mailto:www-rdf-interest@w3.org and mailto:xml-dist-app@w3.org list.
While the XML Protocol WG will be a W3C Member activity, and also have a
member-only list, the "public mailing list, with its wider audience,
exists to promote openness and interoperability, and is the preferred
channel of communication."

Also of note (since www-rdf-interest is a public list):
[[
The Working Group will cooperate closely with the IETF on the use of HTTP
as a transport mechanism. To achieve this, work on this item should be
conducted exclusively on the public mailing list xml-dist-app@w3.org
]]

BTW you might also be interested in a work item that was ruled *out* of
scope for this effort:
[[
     2.5 Metadata Descriptions of Services
An important feature of communicating in a
distributed environment is the ability to discover
and exchange information that describes how
communication between peers can occur. [...]
service discovery and description
will not to be taken on by this Working Group.
]]

If anyone from RDFland does get involved in this effort and is willing to
act as an informal liaison channel, drop me or the RDF IG list a brief
note so we know who is following both efforts.

cheers,

Dan