Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 05:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

From: Sergey Melnik <
<mailto:melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU?Subject=Re:%20Announcing%20RDFdb&In-Reply
-To=> &References=">melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU>

To: Guha <
<mailto:guha@guha.com?Subject=Re:%20Announcing%20RDFdb&In-Reply-To=>
&References=">guha@guha.com>, Jeen Broekstra <
<mailto:jbroeks@cs.vu.nl?Subject=Re:%20Announcing%20RDFdb&In-Reply-To=>
&References=">jbroeks@cs.vu.nl>

cc:
<mailto:www-rdf-interest@w3.org?Subject=Re:%20Announcing%20RDFdb&In-Repl
y-To=> &References=">www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Subject: Re: Announcing RDFdb

Guha, Jeen,

the only change I made on Solaris was to include the socket library for

linking, i.e. in makefile, replace

	LIBS     = -ldb -lpthread

by

	LIBS     = -ldb -lpthread -lsocket

Guha, query optimization for a homogeneous triple store might need some

novel techniques. A traditional DBMS can hardly maintain

useful statistics across all value combinations. Therefore, bad query

plans are often generated. I have some ideas, let's talk about it,

I'll be back next week.

Sergey

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Guha wrote:

> Hi Sergey,

>  Did you have to make any chage to the code to get it running

> on Solaris?

>  I have plans of supporting reification. Just haven't done it yet.

>  The indexes are currently built on b-trees provided by Sleepycat.

>  I am working on a "nested hash" structure which is more appropriate

> for graphs. The "join algorithm" is fairly straightforward and

> only uses conjunct ordering for optimization. I plan to implement

> a lot of the optimizations used in cyc, lore, etc.

>  Thanks! Do you have any suggestions, advice, etc? We should talk

> about this sometime.

>  Guha

Carl Lagoze, Digital Library Scientist
Department of Computer Science, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone: +1-607-255-6046
FAX: +1-607-255-4428
E-Mail:  <mailto:lagoze@cs.cornell.edu> lagoze@cs.cornell.edu