Re: A triple is not unique.

Bill de hÓra wrote:

> : The triples in my computer are different from the triples in
> : your computer.
>
> Pedantic perhaps, but do you mean "Model" instead of "computer"?

I was trying to pick a collection of statements for which I was assured that the assumption that a triple was unique could not be made.   I was trying to pick a collection of statements which reflects the open ended nature of the semantic web.  I know RDF statements are only meaningful within semantic islands (i love that term, did you coin it?);  yet RDF dose not prescribe how these islands are to be defined.  (Does it?)

> I like to think that I could have a Model independent of location ...

I'd like to think you couldn't, cause then you would be God.  But you have suggested some philosophical questions:  Where is the semantic web?  Does it resides in our many computers or in some abstract imagined space?  I think the semantic web only works within the communications between semantic islands, but i don't think those islands float free of the computers in which they reside - however much we would like that to be the
case.

> Only maybe. I might have [seths_model, states, [reified triple...]].

Yes, I agree.  That and the rest of your examples work for me.

> It seems difficult to pose triples as unique since triples aren't members of the set of things that have uris, namely resources. You need a programmatic context.

Ok you need running applications before this stuff becomes meaningful.  My questions relate to how those applications talk externally between each other.

Seth Russell