RE: Does RDF overlap w/XML Schema

--On 14/11/00 8:36 PM -0500 James Tauber wrote:

> XML Schema is about constraining the surface XML syntax.
> RDF is about expressing the underlying relationships between objects
> ("resources").
>
> I believe the two can work in tandem. A particular surface syntax
> (constrained via XML Schema) can be mapped to the underlying object
> relationships (expressed via RDF model and constrained via RDF syntax)

Since RDF was developed before XML Schema we cannot say that
this is the case - in fact - we should _now_ be starting new
effort on _truely_ building RDF on top of XML Schema (ie RDF 2.0)

RDF 2.0 should be completely expressable with XML Schema.
(The web can only handle one schema language)

Until this happens, RDF will always be the "poorer cousin" to XML
Schema.

Cheers...Renato                      <http://purl.net/net/renato>
Chief Scientist, IPR Systems Pty Ltd      <http://iprsystems.com>
...............................unlocking the value of information