Re: New Semantic-Web List?

I thought we had this discussion last week!

W3C have already established such a list, semantic-web@w3.org, along
with supporting infrastructure (URL persistence policy, web archives,
searching etc). The question is not whether to set up such a
list (that piece of administrivia was done some time back). Rather,
whether we should properly announce it, figure out how it can be scoped
so as not to overlap with www-talk, RDF IG, RDF-Logic lists. As I
outlined in a previous msg, we held back from publicising the W3C SW
list because it was unclear how to characterise its role, if any,
alongside existing lists.

While folk can do what they want, set up lists elsewhere etc, I'd prefer
it if we could avoid muddying the picture by having too many generic SW
lists. If semantic-web@w3.org has a good use, let's use it. Right now
I'm not personally persuaded by the 'www-talk is dead/boring/noisy'
argument. That list has a long heritage and I'm reluctant to go
reinventing it with a 'future-of-the-web' list. But if it makes sense to
the SW developer community to spread SW discussion across another list,
semantic-web@w3.org seems as good a list as any to be home to
that.

Dan