RE: More On the Semantic Web (or: is RDF any good?)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Craig Pugsley wrote:

> >Only in that RDF is a (microcosmic) technique which will form part of a
> >global pool of information?
>
> I agree. However, the global pool of information must be communicated using
> some technology. If we, as the people who have enough collective knowledge
> to thrash out these issues, do not lay the correct foundations and isolate
> the users from any complex mechanics, then we are going to loose the play.
> They simply will not adopt our new technology.
>
> CraigP

The word mechanics reminds me of the interplay between "statistical
mechanics" and thermodynamics. The first describes phenomena on the
micro level and the second on the macro level. Small scale bits like
XML/RDF are the substrate of any scheme to build a semantic level.

In reality, I cannot see how an idea such as "user driven semantics"
would work in terms of how RDF evolves.

And Great store was put in LISP and Prolog to build AI systems.

Gordo

--
Gordon Joly       http://www.pobox.com/~gordo/
gordo@dircon.co.uk       gordon.joly@pobox.com