Re: Anonymous resource names -versus- variables

At 11:00 AM 5/4/00 -0700, Guha wrote:
>Yes, Anonymity is not a property of the object, but a property
>of the description of the object. The situation is similar to
>indexicals. I can use "he" to refer to Dan, but that does not mean
>Dan is of type "he" or "indexical".

Until I read that, I was uneasy about Dan's "var:..." proposal.

But introducing a form of labelling that serves the same kind of role as a
pronoun seems entirely reasonable.

(Part of my previous unease, I think, was regarding that the 'I' in 'URI'
implied a requirement to convey 'identity'.  But in RDF, I think URI's are
simply the nouns of the language.)

#g
--

Graham Klyne