Re: URIs for MIME types

Ther is a whole arguent in the XML community about namespaces that runs along
these lines...

Charles McCN

On 6 Jun 2000, Michael Higgins wrote:

  James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com> writes:

  > Well, IANA would probably have to do it. But I agree it's trivial. Something
  > like:
  >
  > 	http://www.iana.org/mime-types/text/plain
  >
  > it what I was envisaging.
  >
  > Either that or a new URI schema
  >
  > 	mime:text/plain

  So what's the general philosophy for this kind of thing?  It seems to
  me that if you did the first, and used those URIs in RDF statements,
  it would seem like you were making assertions about documents which
  were, in turn, about MIME types (presumably).  Whereas, if you used
  the latter, it would be clear(er) that you were making assertions
  using the MIME type itself.

  The advantage to doing the former is that you could keep an actual
  document at the given URI that described the given MIME type.  But
  it's unclear whether

          http://www.iana.org/mime-types/text/plain

  and

          http://www.my-weird-domain.org/mime-types/text/plain

  refer to same MIME type, even if I stored the same description
  document at the second URI.

  I'm new.  Is there a lot of analogous practice out there for this sort
  of thing?

  Mike