Re: SV: The semantic web

At 10:16 AM 4/11/00 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:

>As Sergey notes [2], many languages can be built on top of the RDF
>core.

[...]

>While
>having another convenient RDF syntax also seems desirable, the important
>thing is the model.

[...]

>  Secondly, recent discussion here on "Semantic Web
>Screenscraping"[3] suggests a way forward on the syntax front: we can
>extract RDF models from arbitrary web content with XSLT.

[...]

>does this make sense?

To me, much.  (I found your posting helpful - thanks)

I am reminded of some discussions that took place in the IETF about an
"hourglass" model for network protocols.  Here, IP was the first hourglass
"neck", supporting multiple physical media below, and transport/application
protocols above.  MIME was posited as a second neck, providing a common
interchange between data transfer protocols and data using applications
(though present company might prefer XML for this ;-).

Your posting suggests a possibility of the RDF model as a "semantic" neck
in a hourglass model for information processing, with multiple application
formats supported through "screenscraping" and similar techniques, and
multiple inference schemes being built on top of the common format provided.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)