Re: a questioin on use of RDF

You know of course that VCard can be expressed in RDF. Maybe this could be
an extension of this in some way?

Johan

At 09:21 1999-09-24 -0400, Sankar Virdhagriswaran wrote:
>Folks,
>
>This list has been extremely quiet, so I thought I would send some thing to
>see if there are people out there who are listening and want to do some
>thing with RDF.
>
>I wanted to think about a simple application for RDF that spreads through a
>volunteer effort that is similar to that which saw "robot.txt" become the
>default standard for crawling. So, my objective is to figure out the
>simplest RDF description that would have a chance of getting adopted widely.
>I am also trying to see what kind of meta-data is really semantically
>useful.
>
>The problem I would like to address is the meta-data description about a
>site (yes, I do mean site - not a page nor the structure of the web site --
>we can go there later, but KISS is what I am going after). I want to have
>individuals, companies, organizations, etc. describe some thing about
>themselves in an RDF description. An individual can think of it as his/her
>business card. A corporation or private organization can think of it as the
>information they file to a governmental body when they get incorporated. A
>Governmental institution can think of it in a similar fashion. Maybe a
>semantic search engine will then index sites based on the information
>provided in these "Calling cards".
>
>So, if we can come up with a RDF description for such a beast and if folks
>begin to adopt it (we are leveraging what people do already), then we would
>have made a small step towards semantic web, but a large step for the Web.
>
>What do folks think? Maybe some body else have thought about this idea.
>
>Sankar

                         Johan HJELM
      Ericsson Research, User Applications Group
         Currently visiting engineer at the W3C
Chair, CC/PP Working Group and WCA Interest Group
             The World Wide Web Consortium
                         hjelm@w3.org
   http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Hjelm
    Fax +1-617-258 5999, Phone +1-617-253-9630
   MIT/LCS, 545 Tech. Sq. Cambridge MA 02139 USA
        Opinions are personal, always my own,
  and not necessarily those of Ericsson or the W3C.