RE: RDF API

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Ron Daniel wrote:
> Sergey asks:
>
> > BTW: what's the deal with XML embedded in RDF anyway? Does anyone on
> > earth uses/needs this feature? I tried a Gedankenexperiment where I
> > imagined an RDF description containing XML literals with, say,
> > presentation markup in them, but I could not arrive at anything useful
> > having this combination.
> >
> [Ron Daniel]  Here's one example to consider - a glossary.
> Each 'term' is a resource. It has a couple of properties - label
> and definition. Many definitions will have multiple paragraphs,
> so they need embedded <p> elements. Some labels (and definitions)
> may use specialized terminology and therefore need markup such
> as subscripts and superscripts.

A similar example is that of Web annotations, commentaries, 'weblogs' etc.
Mostly these are pretty simple to handle in RDF, but a few applications
(eg. see http://www.memepool.com, http://www.slashdot.org/) make good use
of embedded hyperlinks wthin the commentary text. More generally,
'document like' content as against 'data like' content. While the XML
markup could in principle be unfolded into a little web of RDF Seq
structures (to preserve ordering), or a linked list or similar, I expect
many apps will just treat the markup as datatyped content to be passed on
to XML/HTML  oriented components. Which raises question of what the URI
would be for such a datatype, and whether we look to the XML Structures or
XML data types spec for this...

Dan