Re: Cambridge Communique

----- Original Message -----
From: Renato Iannella <renato@dstc.edu.au>
[...snip...]

> I think this highlights the possible confusion between XML and RDF
> Schemas. If I want to describe my Books - should I use XML or RDF
> Schema? Or Both?

I would have said neither.  You might describe books with RDF.  RDF-schema
would only come into play if you wanted to describe your description.

But if the question is: "Do I use RDF or XML to describe books?", then some
of the tradeoffs that occur to me are:

RDF:  syntax already done, only need a book description data model.  Can
base this on Dublin Core.

XML: must invent a book description syntax.

RDF: can distribute book information among many RDF documents, can make
second-order statements.

XML: these features may or may not be allowed of your book description
syntax.

RDF: difficult to use with XSL.  Maybe the syntax is not very attractive.

XML: can use with XSL (and CSS).  Make the syntax as nice as you like.

- Arnold
---
Arnold deVos
Langdale Consultants