notes on SLinkS RDF schema [was: Legal citations...]

Eric Hellman wrote:

> The legal citation problem is very closely related to the scholarly
> citation problem, which we've done a lot of work on (see
> http://www.openly.com/SLinkS/ and http://www.openly.com/link.openly/ )

Notes on the SLinkS RDF schema, as I read it:

http://www.openly.com/SLinkS/slinks.rdf.html
version 0.99       10/26/99

nice, friendly license!

pointer to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222 is faulty; the
address of the RDF REC is
	http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-rdf-syntax-19990222

=========
<rdf:Property ID="template">
[...]
        <rdfs:range
rdf:resource="http://www.openly.com/slinks/slinks.dtd"/>
=========

hmm... odd; http://www.openly.com/slinks/slinks.dtd is an RDF class?
I guess you can use it that way; is that what you meant?

Interesting idiom: using foo.dtd to denote the RDF class consisting
documents that validate per foo.dtd.

========
<rdf:Property ID="restriction">
        <rdfs:comment>restrictions are indications by a Linkee that the
modified Link Method may only be used under specific conditions
specified here.
The specifications have legal definitions available at
http://www.openly.com/SLinkS/legal.html </rdfs:comment>
========

Er.. I don't like to see URIs lost (to the RDF parser) in plain text.
I wonder if you can use the RDF(s?) seeAlso property?

========
<rdfs:Class ID="MIME-Type">
        <rdfs:comment>These are the allowed MIME-types.</rdfs:comment>
[...]
        <MIME-Type ID="text-html">
========

I recommend, in stead, that you allow any resource as a MIME type,
and note that those those that start with:

	http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/

have been registered with IANA; for example:

	http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/text/html

I guess you could spell this in RDF as:

	<rdf:Description

aboutEachPrefix="http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/"
	rdf:type="#MIME-Type" />

or, equivalently (I think):

	<MIME-Type

aboutEachPrefix="http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/"
/>

========
<rdfs:Class ID="WebServiceType">
        <rdfs:comment>The allowed web service type. Only one type should
be
specified. Default is OnLineAccess.</rdfs:comment>
        <rdfs:label>WEB SERVICE TYPE</rdfs:label>

        <WebServiceType ID="OnLineAccess">
                <rdfs:comment>This Web Service provides "on-line" access
to a
citeable resource, or aggregates online access.</rdfs:comment>
                <rdfs:label>On-Line Access</rdfs:label>
        </WebServiceType>
========

I thin you meant to enumerate some instances of the class
WebServiceType,
but what you've done is to give some (odd looking) properties of
WebServiceType.

i.e. it says:

	#WebServiceType --- #WebServiceType --> #OnLineAccess

but I think what you meant was:

	#OnLineAccess --- rdfs:type ---> #WebServiceType

To say what you mean, close the <rdfs:Class ID="WebServiceType">...
element before you start the enumeration.
similarly for your enumeration of subjects.

regarding <rdf:Property ID="title">; you should probably note that
it's a subPropertyType of the dublin core title.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/