Re: Fwd: [MODS] MADS: XML schema for authorities

Butler, Mark wrote:

> Hi Stefano
>

>>but in the MADS schema you get

>>  <xsd:attribute name="relatedType" use="optional">
>

>>so, if the attribute is not present, the XML is legal, but the
>>stylesheet wouldn't work.
>

> I hadn't intended the stylesheet to be complete, just to illustrate how you
> could do this.

Mark, I was not commenting on your stylesheet but on the fact that it is
always going to be algorithmically uncertain to transform such MADS XML
fragments into RDF statements if the type of relationship is kept optional.

Of course there is lots of relationship information in the litterals
that are being connected (for example from "new york" ---> "big apple"
we can infer the relationship "also referred to as", but this is never a
mechanical transformation).

But my point is rather simple: no matter how it is encoded, the
information for all three items of the statement in the MADS XMLSchema
should be mandatory, or it will be painful, or heuristical, to convert
it to RDF.

--
Stefano.