RE: SIMILE PI phone conference, 15-Apr-04 1100 EDT/1600 BST

Feedback on the milestones doc from Martin and Nick:

1. There is a full year between the paper describing issues of scaling up and the milestone ("Navigation and mapping demonstration at increased scale" - milestone 4, June 05) where scale is finally demonstrated.  Suggest identifying useful and measurable intermediate milestones to be included with the scale whitepaper deliverable.

2. Concern that the work regarding scale remain consistent with the functional integration overall architecture to be defined in "Proposal for functional integration of SIMILE with DSpace" deliverable (milestone 3, December 04) and "Prototype of SIMILE working with DSpace - Architecture and implementation that incorporates tools developed for Milestones 1-3." (milestone 4, June 05).  Desire to avoid forks in the effort that join late or not at all.  Question was - "how can the milestones reflect the need for concerns regarding scale to be reflected in the milestones regarding SIMILE architecture and functional integration of SIMILE with DSpace?"

3. Observation and concern that some navigate/browse paradigms could be fundamentally computationally intensive and intractable with extremely large and dynamically changing datasets.  So architecture needs to consider both concerns of scale from the perspective of database and query capacity, as well as appropriate constraints on the interaction paradigm so that implementation is tenable regardless of the underlying DB technologies.  That is, there are two sets of concerns: 1 - scaling Jena and RDQL so that client browsers can implement useful browse/navigate paradigms and 2 - designing useful browse/navigate/search paradigms including constraints (on support for dynamic data, for the types of queries that need to be issued) that can be implemented using available database and query technologies (of which Jena is one alternative).

4. Martin and the Jena team would like further guidance with respect to the interactions and support that SIMILE will require in addressing the issues of scale and/or client interface design described in the above 3 items.

====
Mick Bass

970.898.6788 office    408.216.0584 fax
303.667.1227 mobile    303.494.5202 residence
bass@alum.mit.edu      mick_bass@hp.com
====