RE: Portals of image collections

Hello,

I've been lurking on the list for a while and find some of the messages point me to some interesting places so thanks.

The original message about portals to image collections was posted a couple of weeks ago but I'm afraid I've only just got to it.

You might like to look at the SCULPTEUR project (http://www.sculpteurweb.org/) which will provide combined content-based, concept-based and metadata searches over images collections at the Victoria & Albert Museum, the National Gallery in London, C2RMF, the Uffizi and the Museum of Cherbourg.

I had better declare an interest here as I am one of the research engineers working on the project.

SCULPTEUR is only a year into its three year funding and as yet there is no publicly available system. However SCULPTEUR builds on the work done in the ARTISTE project and a dissemination system is still available from that project. The ARTISTE system allowed users to search over four images collections from different galleries. I think the final numbers were 170,000 images and 5 million items of metadata. The dissemination system at http://artiste.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/ contains only 1000 images from the V&A collection but your can use the full search interface which allows the combination of content based and metadata queries. There are also a couple of reports on the use of RDF in the project and other topics which you can read via the Documentation link on http://www.it-innovation.soton.ac.uk/artiste/

I'd be happy to provide more information if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Alison

Alison Stevenson
IT Innovation Centre