Re: Amico Corpus

Butler, Mark wrote:

>Hi Team,
>
>I've been looking at the sample Amico data and there is a problem with the
>way that owner is encoded
>
><Paintings rdf:about = "WMAA.70.1650">
>  <Title>(Self-Portrait)</Title>
>  <owner>
>   <Organization rdf:about =
>"http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_art">
>    <name>Whitney Museum of American Art</name>
>    <place>New York, New York, USA</place>
>    <credit>Josephine N. Hopper Bequest</credit>
>    <accessionNumber rdf:resource = "70.1650" />
>   </Organization>
>  </owner>
></Paintings>
>
>when several of these records are merged, the relationship between the
>painting and the accessionNumber is lost, because accessionNumber is a
>property of
>http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_art, not the
>painting.
>
>There are two alternative ways of encoding this to avoid this:
>
><Paintings rdf:about = "WMAA.70.1650">
>  <Title>(Self-Portrait)</Title>
>  <owner>
>   <Owner>
>    <ownerIdentity>
>     <Organization rdf:about =
>"http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_art">
>      <name>Whitney Museum of American Art</name>
>      <place>New York, New York, USA</place>
>      <credit>Josephine N. Hopper Bequest</credit>
>     </Organization>
>    </ownerIdentity>
>    <accessionNumber rdf:resource = "70.1650" />
>   </Owner>
>  </owner>
></Paintings>
>
>or alternatively
>
><Paintings rdf:about = "WMAA.70.1650">
>  <Title>(Self-Portrait)</Title>
>  <accessionObject>
>	<AccessionNumber>
>	 <organization
>rdf:resource="http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_a
>rt"/>
>	 <accessionNumber rdf:resource = "70.1650"/>
>      </AccessionNumber>
> </accessionObject>
>  <owner>
>   <Organization rdf:about =
>"http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_art">
>    <name>Whitney Museum of American Art</name>
>    <place>New York, New York, USA</place>
>    <credit>Josephine N. Hopper Bequest</credit>
>   </Organization>
>  </owner>
></Paintings>
>
>Obviously the class and property names (owner, Owner, ownerIdentity and
>Organization in the first example and accessionObject, AccessionNumber,
>organization and accessionNumber in the second) can be tweaked. Does anybody
>have a preference or any other suggestions?
>
>thanks, best regards
>
>Dr Mark H. Butler
>Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
> [...]
In the example you've shown the 'credit' tag appears to suffer the same
problem, and 'place' likewise unless the location in question is the
location not of the object, but of the museum.   Personally I prefer the
first form except for the 'Owner' versus 'owner' distinction which is
lost to me.  Indeed, why not:

<Paintings rdf:about = "WMAA.70.1650">
  <Title>(Self-Portrait)</Title>
  <owner>
    <Organization rdf:about =
"http://www.amico.org/laf/entities/whitney_museum_of_american_art">
      <name>Whitney Museum of American Art</name>
    </Organization>
    <accessionNumber rdf:resource = "70.1650" />
    <place>New York, New York, USA</place>
    <credit>Josephine N. Hopper Bequest</credit>
  </owner>
</Paintings>

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");