Re: ungetable http URIs

FQDN is just a short form for 'fully qualified domain name'.  In other
words a hostname that is rooted in the root name servers.

Nick Matsakis wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) wrote:
>

>>One of the prime qualities of 'urn' URIs are that they are
>>location-independent, i.e. no authority component.
>>	urn://www.mit.edu/simile....
>>
>>That doesn't work. URNs and FQDNs don't mix.
>>

>What is an FQDN? It seems to me that there should be something like
>urn:dns:mit.edu/simile/... which says basically, this isn't resolvable,
>but the namespace is managed by the same people who manage the DNS
>namespace.
>
>The following is quite pedantic, but www.mit.edu/simile is not owned by
>the simile group.  www.mit.edu is owned by an MIT student group (SIPB)
>that was doing web stuff before it was hot.  Eventually, MIT wrested away
>www.mit.edu to point to web.mit.edu but everything _under_ www.mit.edu is
>still owned by SIPB.  web.mit.edu/simile does belong to the simile group.
>However, web and www are both passe, and you can save yourself three
>characters by just going with http://mit.edu/simile/... which is also
>owned by the group.
>
>Nick

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");