Re: Relationship between content and metadata

Butler, Mark wrote:

>This paper
>
>http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april02/weibel/04weibel.html
>
>Has an interesting taxonomy on the relationship between metadata and
>content:
>
>"C. Association Models
>There are various ways to associate metadata with resources:

[...]

>perhaps we want to introduce the distinction between embedded, associated
>and third-party metadata in the document?

To what effect?

It seems to me that the Dspace taxonomy for data is approximately:

  Configuration data
     Website Configuration Data
     Database connection data
     Filesystem data
  Runtime data
     User and group data
     Collection hierarchy data
     Vocabulary data
     Card catalog data
     Collected assets data
       Asset metadata
       Asset contents
  History data
     ABC History chains
     Card catalog historical instances
     DSpace event references

Even if were to observe each of the types of metadata/data relationships
described above in the DSpace data, would it have any effect on how we
work with that data?  If one is interested in categorizations, wouldn't
it help more is to categorize the parts of the data that we would like
to represent in RDF, the parts that are more usefully represented in
relational databases, and the parts that will have other more
specialized characteristics.

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");