Lifecycle Management of Digital Objects

Mark wrote:

> I've also looked through the prototypes, and identified
> components from the prototypes. Based on this I have produced
> a "component map" of all the components, that starts to
> relate the use cases to the prototypes - see the enclosed .gif image.
>
> I struggled with the following prototypes:
>
> - Prototype dissemination kernel and architecture
> - RDF Diff
> - OAIS Lifecycle data schema development
> - Event based workflow survey and recommendations
> - Archival of SIMILE data
> - Web of trust for authority services
>
> So can anyone suggest component(s) to summarise these use
> cases to fit on the component map?

I suspect that you may have struggled with those because they stress a dimension of SIMILE that is not strongly represented in the heterogeneous metadata end-to-end use case.

Don't know if this will help or not, so I thought I would bring some current thinking and dialogue to the list.

John Ericson and I have been considering another "generic" end-to-end use case under which some of the existing use cases would be components or instances.

Current working name for this use case is "lifecycle management of digital objects".

Such a use case would entail (end-to-end):
        - policy expression (suitably constrained)
        - digital object modelling
        - interaction with a digital object via an API
        - definition, insertion, and management of views on objects
        - event modelling
        - modelling and connecting triggers - responses to events
        - audit metadata generation, and audit services

While there is some overlap with the heterogeneous metadata use case, they are largely orthogonal.  I note that both of these end-to-end cases are replete with interesting UI and usability issues.

This generic use case might subsume existing instance use cases of: OCLC authority control service, history (audit) subsystem.

We do need to be sure that we can concretely express a specific end-to-end instance of this generic case.  We might do this by expressing the use-case in terms of a particular object that is added to SIMILE, and the stuff that happens to it (specifically described) in each of the dimensions mentioned above, over time.

Feedback is welcome.