FW: Leeber

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Butler, Mark
Sent: 11 June 2003 11:42
To: 'brandt-leeber@kurowski.net'
Subject: Leeber

Hi Brandt

I am working on project between HP, MIT and W3C called SIMILE which is
investigating semantic metadata for libraries - see
http://web.mit.edu/simile/www. MacKenzie Smith, a PI on this project,
pointed out that Leeber is an open-source resource cataloguing application
using RDF.

I have downloaded Leeber, but I am experiencing some difficulty getting it
to run. I have followed the install instructions, but in addition I needed
to make a number of changes. Firstly I'm running on Windows, so I had to
edit leeber.java to replace /var/leeber with /apps32/leeber.

0.  See the files in doc/examples for examples of the files you need to
create

Done, but not sure what I'm looking for.

1.  Create a directory /var/leeber

Done - /apps32/leeber

2.  Put your RDF data in /var/leeber/data.rdf

I just copied data.rdf from doc/examples to here. Is this going to cause
problems?

3.  Create an empty RDF file /var/leeber/suggestions.rdf

Done

4.  Create an empty RDF file /var/leeber/users.rdf

Done

5.  Describe your portal(s) in /var/leeber/portals.rdf

Not sure how to do this. I think you need some more information in the
install instructions. I just copied portals.rdf from doc/examples to
/apps32/leeber/. I tried running Leeber / Tomcat, but it fell over because
it couldn't find "localhost" in this file. So I added

    <dc:identifier>localhost</dc:identifier>

in the first description after the namespace defintion. Is this sufficient,
or do I need to make other changes to this file also?

6.  Create a directory /var/leeber/vocab

Done

7.  Put RDF files for each RDF schema you will use into /var/leeber/vocab
    Name the RDF files X.rdf, where X is the schema namespace after
URL-encoding

I just copied the files from /doc/examples. Is this sufficient? The
filenames look horribly mangled on Windows, but judging by the console log
Leeber does seem to read them okay.

8.  Create a directory /var/leeber/logs

Done

9.  Extract leeber and edit build.properties to match your system

Done

10. Build leeber using ant. This should automatically deploy leeber to
    Tomcat for you. You may need to restart Tomcat.

Done, although I can't get the auto deploy to work fully, but I don't think
this is a problem.

11. Visit your portal page. Register for a new user account.

I start tomcat. I'm not sure where the portal page is, so I tried pointing
my browser at
http://localhost:8080/leeber/home/

However in the browser I get

Apache Tomcat/4.0.6 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

----

type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error)
that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Could not dispatch
	at net.sf.leeber.Dispatcher.service(Dispatcher.java:120)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)
	root cause

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.leeber.controller.Leeber
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1406)
	at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.jav
a:1254)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)
	at net.sf.leeber.Dispatcher.service(Dispatcher.java:102)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)

and in the console window I get

C:\apps32\leeber\tomcat406>bin\catalina run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\apps32\leeber\tomcat406
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\apps32\leeber\tomcat406
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\apps32\leeber\tomcat406\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.6
PARSE error at line 6 column 19
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "taglib" must be declared.
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.6
11-Jun-2003 11:31:45 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://digitalequity.info/2001/10/26/internal#
11-Jun-2003 11:31:45 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://edreform.net/2002/03/17/elements.rdf#
11-Jun-2003 11:31:45 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/
11-Jun-2003 11:31:45 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
11-Jun-2003 11:31:45 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://purl.org/dc/terms/
11-Jun-2003 11:31:46 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#[29:107]: {W101} Unqualified use
of r
df:ID has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#[35:118]: {W101} Unqualified use
of r
df:ID has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#[40:102]: {W101} Unqualified use
of r
df:ID has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#[43:52]: {W101} Unqualified use
of rd
f:ID has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#[46:130]: {W101} Unqualified use
of r
df:ID has been deprecated.
11-Jun-2003 11:31:46 net.sf.leeber.Leeber createVocab
INFO: reading vocab: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[11:71]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:abou
t has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[18:28]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[26:26]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[27:76]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:reso
urce has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[42:31]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[50:34]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[58:28]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[66:32]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:ID h
as been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[67:77]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:reso
urce has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[79:32]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:reso
urce has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[116:32]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:res
ource has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[127:74]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:abo
ut has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[134:76]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:abo
ut has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[137:77]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:res
ource has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[142:73]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:abo
ut has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[183:64]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:abo
ut has been deprecated.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#[184:71]: {W101} Unqualified use of
rdf:res
ource has been deprecated.
11-Jun-2003 11:31:46 net.sf.leeber.Leeber portal
INFO: SELECT ?resource WHERE (?resource,
<http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/identi
fier>, "localhost")
11-Jun-2003 11:31:46 net.sf.leeber.Dispatcher service
INFO: 127.0.0.1 - /leeber/home/
11-Jun-2003 11:31:46 net.sf.leeber.Dispatcher service
SEVERE: Could not dispatch
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.leeber.controller.Leeber
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoa
der.java:1406)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoa
der.java:1254)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)
        at net.sf.leeber.Dispatcher.service(Dispatcher.java:102)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
icationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
ilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
alve.java:243)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextV
alve.java:190)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve
.java:246)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:
2347)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.j
ava:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatche
rValve.java:170)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.j
ava:170)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:
468)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:564)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
ve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline
.java:566)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcesso
r.java:1027)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.ja
va:1125)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com
Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/