Re: Latex template for research reports?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Bass, Mick wrote:

> We are considering using LaTex for authoring SIMILE documents, and need
> a suitable LaTex template.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but the basic LaTeX article
class is suitable for building structured documents such as the Research
Drivers document.  I would definitely change the default margins and
fonts, but that is independent of the document structuring commands.

If the choice is made to go to LaTeX, I would also suggest that the group
standardize on PDFLaTeX, which is commonly included with virtually all tex
distributions these days. PDFLaTeX is a version of LaTeX that produces PDF
rather than DVI as output.  For graphics, it accepts the native graphics
of PDF: JPEG for natural images, TIFF for lossless bitmaps, and PDF for
vector artwork. Hyperlinks and other PDF document navigation features are
also easy to come by.

I've never really used any TeX->HTML programs, though, so I can't comment
on that except to say that I presume that the standard hyperref package
would be sufficient for embedding hyperlinks.

Nick