RE: SIMILE Research Drivers

Kevin,

That's an interesting technology but to quote the front page on XWT: its
"most useful" for

    Highly mobile users:
    Thin client environments:
    Software-as-a-service:

These are not the only modes of interest here.  In particular these are all
about the application being on the server.  Isn't Haystack about the users
information being close to them on their client (or local server).
Knowledge workers have lots of information that hold as their own locally
and are not supported by standard applications delivered from a server.  See
also
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-328.html

SIMILE seems to be a repository of information, and associated services
around that information, that can be used by clients from smart to thin.  A
SIMILE host is not an Application Service Provider although it might be part
of one.

	Andy

 http://www.xwt.org/

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");