RE: review of Research Drivers document

Hi Eric

I just want to clarify some of these issues before editing the document?

> [ 042. ]
> like the first sentence in each paragraph in this section is a sub-point.
> As its currently formatted this is confusing.

Can you suggest a better way to format it? I copied this from the original
SIMILE proposal.

Currently the sentences are summaries, then the paragraphs below describe
the sentences in more detail. One way to do this would be to make the
sentences section headings, but they seem a bit long for that. We could
summarize them to use them as section headings, but I like them as
statements.

Another option would be to use a bulleted list, with the summary in bold or
in italics. However in the next issue you make a complaint about the
formatting of a bulletted list - is this a stylistic thing (I know some
people don't like lists used in this way) or is there another problem - is
it a browser related problem?

> [ 043. ]
> and comment effectively.

Not sure if this is a browser problem or a stylistic issue - can you
elaborate?

> [ 044. ]
> s/Instance Validation/Semantic Validation

I don't like this term. I don't think it is possible for computers to do
semantic validation as systems that are purely symbol processing cannot
determine whether a particular set of symbols is a valid encoding of the
real world.

Of course, this depends on your definition of "semantic" so I guess the
first step to consensus here is to propose one?

There are several we could use i.e. the lingustic definition used by John
Searle or the Tarksian definition, which seems closer to its usage by people
working on programming languages and the SW community. However the Tarskian
definition is quite different to common usage, so personally I prefer to
denote it with "formal semantics".

> [ 045. ]
and comment effectively

I guess this is the same as issue 43?

thanks in advance, br

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com