Re: FW: notes on use cases

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 12:47:29AM -0400, David R. Karger wrote:
>    Stepping out of our example, the purpose of Naming in this document
>    is to represent other assets in ways that URLs cannot.  Such linkages
>    are neccessarily specific to the type of data being indexed so they
>    cannot be generalized to a single technology, but that doesn't mean
>    that we can't create a pattern around them.
>
> While using URLs with semantics is one option, an alternative way to
> specify a particular subpart of the movie is with a blob of RDF.  eg,
> there is a resource foo (no semantics) and assertions
> "foo fragment-of the-lord-of-the-rings", "foo start-offset 300", and
> "foo end-offset 500".  Whatever semantics I intend to place in the URL, I
> can instead, without any loss of expressive power, place in a blob of
> RDF statements.  This leaves me with URLs containing no semantics at
> all, which has a consistency I like.

I think we are in agreement here.

There are many different ways to represent the subgraph in question.  You
have broken it up into three statements (and an implied statement of the
schema type), another implementation might use more statements or fewer.
In addition there are many other types of documents that could be named,
in whole or in part.

The point of the Naming discussion is to map those statements to their
meaning, where the meaning is a subindex into a document.  This makes
Name a specialization of Class.

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");