RE: Apache XML Configuration Directives

Hi Wayne,

I think its great that you are interested in involving yourself and possibly
your
team in apache development, particularly with XML configuration.  Speaking
only
for myself,  I have not seen any other emails on this list
(www-rdf-config@w3.org)
in several months, so its great that you wrote in, since there is certainly
not
much documentation on XML apache configuration  on the apache site (if I
missed
it, my apologies to its authors and to you).

Since I haven't seen anything, I'd like to propose the following regarding
Apache
XML based configuration -

Purpose - put apache configuration (server, modules, sites) in XML, it make
it
easier to build run-time configuration tools, particularly remote
administration tools.

Plan -

A.. survey existing configuration needs, and devise a Schema (I think RDF is
dead) -
although I believe some time ago StefanoMazzochi stated that he did not like
the way
configuration was scoped in his own apache jserv,  I think jserv provides an
interesting
starting point.  I vaguely remember a config section related to the server,
to individual
servlets, and to virtual sites.  I would argue that the httpd's
configuration could
similarly be broken down into config for the server, config for modules, and
config for
virtual sites.

B.  write a XSLT style sheet to translate between the schema developed in A,
and
what today's server uses.

C.  Popularize XML config for new modules.

D. replace config file reading code in httpd server to calls to an XML
parser.

This is not a real plan, but think first about the kinds of benefits the
apache user community
could derive from XML configuration (like remote administration tools).