[Fwd: Re: CGI/Perl vs. Middleware]

> The halfway house that I like (as used on AOLserver, and soon to be added
> to Apache) is a scripting language built in as a server module. At least

I believe that Spyder is based on Server-side Java (JavaScript ?) code
for
enabling access to the SQL data source..is that another example of what
you are
talking about.

Also -- should I read from your statement that AOL is using SQL engines
as part of
their service ?  That's another thread that I would like to open ... use
of
RDBMS technology by the Major On-line services.

Steve

Howard Jones wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Steve Mintz wrote:
> > My opinion is that CGI/Perl is "old school" and that the future of client/server
> > www functionality is clearly based on in-process middleware solutions.
>
> And in-process solutions based on DLLs/Shared Libraries make debugging so
> much more entertaining too. ;-)
>
> The halfway house that I like (as used on AOLserver, and soon to be added
> to Apache) is a scripting language built in as a server module. At least
> then you can take the script out of the server and into a seperate
> interpreter if you need to debug it. Depending on the scripting language
> (Perl/TCL/etc.) you aren't buying into one vendor quite so much either.
>
> Another detour from the two main paths is Bluestone Sapphire whic h
> generates a CGI or (soon/now) FastCGI application binary. FastCGI gives
> you most of the benefits of an API, but the OS still protects your
> application from the server, and vice versa.
>
> A (slightly) related point:
>
> Does anyone know of an 'offline' version of MS IDBC that can process the
> same templates and query files but as a command line?
>
> --
> Howard Jones                                   HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN!
> Voss Net Plc.                                                  - E.E.CUMMINGS
> Internet: hjones@vossnet.co.uk
> http://www.vossnet.co.uk/people/Howard/index.html

Technology Briefings            Client/Server Solutions

                     T/SA   L t d.

Information Architecture     WWW + Database Integration

                    tsaltd@panix.com
                     (212) 343-0209