Re: feedback - http://www.w3.org/QA/ styling - gray text

Hello Daniel.

On Aug 15, 2006, at 04:29 , Daniel Barclay wrote:
> On the page at http://www.w3.org/QA/, it appears that much of the text
> is some shade of gray (instead of being fully black).

Indeed, the text is a dark gray with a very slight blue hue, which
was meant to be more pleasing to the eye given the colors on the rest
of the page.

> Given that CRT and LCD displays already have limited contrast, why
> throw
> away even more of the available contrast and make things harder to
> read
> by using gray text?

I would agree with you if the background had been a shade of gray
close to that of the text, but with a plain white background
(luminance 100), the #33444A text (luminance 27) seems to be more
than enough: calculations show that the luminosity contrast ratio for
that text is 10.5, which satisfies even the highest level mentioned
by the web content acessibility guidelines:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/guidelines.html#visual-audio-contrast-
contrast

Could we have chosen plain black instead? yes. But the colors chosen
appear to be a better tradeoff between aesthetic value (which is
always arguable) and accessibility (which is rather relative, but we
are in a very safe range).

regards,
--
olivier